Japan is the second largest music market in the world with a vibrant local music scene and deep connection to the global music industry. Jamaican music is big in Japan with many local entertainers releasing Japan-only albums and touring Japan regularly. MTV Japan like it’s north American parent has a yearly awards. The 2010 MTV Japan 2010 Video Music Awards will be held on Saturday May 30th and while not very knowledgeable of Japanese music on a whole I take interest in the reggae music category.
In Japan Reggae isn’t quite ‘Reggae’
It was interesting to find out that since the Best Reggae Video Award began in 2006 it has never been won by a Jamaican. Looking through the nominations over the years, doing a quick search and taking a listen at some of the past nominees and winners it reminds me that I am not quit sure that Japanese understand the different types of Jamaican music. Everything from Jamaica, features a Jamaican or remotely has a Caribbean vibe or a hint of patois is called “Reggae” but I’ll have to do my part battle that problem in a separate post.
I see my twitter pal Ryo the Skywalker was nominated last year and again this year, Sean Kingston has gone on to big things since I blogged about him 2 years ago but from watching the videos on this list I must say I like Sean Paul’s the most and hope he wins. Video embedded below along with full nominee list for this year and nominees and winner from last year.
- Han-Kun — “Keep it Blazing” – video
- Pushim — “My Endless Love” – video
- Sean Paul — “So Fine” – video
- Sean Kingston — “Fire Burning” – video
- Ryo the Skywalker — “ã“ã“ã«ã‚ã‚‹ä»Šã‚’ å…±ã«æ©ãå‡ºãã†” – video
Nominees from 2009
- Han-Kun — “Hotter Than Hot” – video – WINNER
- Kardinal Offishall (featuring Akon) — “Dangerous” – video
- Mighty Jam Rock — “U.P. Star” – video
- Natty — “Cold Town” – video
- Ryo the Skywalker — “Ever Green” – video
MTV Japan VMAs Reggae Video Nominees
Related posts you might find interesting: